Friday, October 29, 2010

Another video but also a poem! That's better right?

Youtube time once again. I don't know this video isn't very interesting, except for my impression of an Italian midterm. You should watch that part. To expound upon my point about going to a wake, it was a very odd experience for me.  My relative who passed away I didn't know very well, so I sort of felt out of place except that everyone knew who I was and was asking me about school and life, but then there's a dead body sitting up at the front of the room. I guess this is my poem about it.

What is a wake?
A conversation about a body
A conversation over a body
You’ve gotten so tall
How old are you again?
Wow, a writer, that’s wonderful.
What is a wake?
Is it for her to wake or for us to wake
And wake to what?
Wake for what?
Awake, awakened, reawakened
But all I want to do is sleep
It seems indecent to be hungry
And yet I am
It seems indecent to be excited to get dressed up to slather makeup on my face zipper up my boots blow dry my hair and stare in the mirror and judge
And yet I do
So what is a wake?
Or rather, why is a wake?
Why not just the funeral, the real deed to be done, after all.
But still we wake.
For her?

For us?

For no one at all and nothing but an excuse to look at a body
What is a wake?


Fair warning, I haven't written a poem in a very, very long time. This was just a way to sort of get my feelings out there, I wrote this during my freshman year seminar class, which I'm sure my professor really appreciated. Also in that video up there I talk about NaNoWriMo, which is National Novel Writing Month.  That is correct, through the month of November I will be valiantly attempting to write a novel. In 30 days. 50,000 words. Ahhhhh. I've been thinking lately how I haven't written anything in quite a while "because I'm busy" or more accurately, because I'm lazy and I'm afraid it won't be any good. And now this excellent opportunity has presented itself for me to start writing again, so I will be taking on a lot more then I can handle, and hopefully by the end of the month I can say that I've written a novel. That would be a very cool thing to say. I think I'm done now, so bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment